Monday, 4 July 2016

No more zoomies

Dear Cherry,

I was a bit naughty on my walk with Mummy this evening.  I ran away and didn't come back.

You see I had been in all day with Daddy (don't ask me why he didn't take me for a walk in the day, but he didn't) because Mummy had to go to town to sort out her mobile phone.  It had stopped working last night and then had a strange screen appear this morning  saying the "Device memory and software are corrupted. Return to factory settings."  So Mummy took her phone to the phone shop hoping they could fix it.  Sadly there was nothing they could do, so Mummy ended up getting a new phone.  By the time she'd done all that and got home again it was teatime, so I was very frustrated and had lots of pent up energy.

This evening we went for a long walk along the revetment between Shanklin and Sandown.  The tide was out so Mummy took me down onto the beach and let me off the lead.  I normally stay within the area between the two sets of groynes near Mummy, but it felt so good to be out in the fresh air that I ran up to the sea wall, up the steps and started making my way along the revetment.

I could hear Mummy calling me, but I was having so much fun I didn't pay any attention.  There were just too many sniffs!

Anyway, I saw Mummy come back up the beach so she was on the revetment with me but I was still a good distance away from her.  She called me and I did start to run to her, but then I caught the scent of something really interesting on the way and turned back to investigate.  That was when Daddy caught hold of me and held me still while Mummy caught up with us.

She put my lead back on my harness and said "Sorry Arik but your zoomie privileges are hereby recinded.  If I can't trust you to come back, you won't be allowed off lead at all.  I can't risk losing you."  She didn't sound cross, more ..... hurt and disappointed in me, which is worse.  She went on to say something else about "blotting my copy book" but I don't know what that means.

I wish I hadn't run off now.  It seemed like a good idea at the time and such good fun, but I think I really scared Mummy and hurt her feelings.  Although she kept her voice calm, didn't shout, and just encouraged me back by opening her arms like she does when I normally run back to her, I could tell by the look in her eyes that I'd frightened her.

So I think Mummy will keep me on the lead at all times now.  I don't mind so much.  I trust her that it's for my own good.  I just wish I could tell Mummy how sorry I am.

Love & Licks
Arik xxx

3 comments:

  1. Tina K Burton5 July 2016 at 00:36
    Dear Arik,

    Oh dear, that was a daft thing to do, but maybe it's a good thing really as it's much safer to be kept on your lead. You can still sniff things, but you'll be close to your mummy.
    My mummy read the other day about a greyhound who was only my age, whose mummy let her off in a forest. She chased a squirrel into the woods and broke her neck because she ran into a tree.
    Mummy cried lots and said that's why I'm never allowed off lead when I'm out because I'm such a clumsy girl, and I'm so easily distracted. I'd run off and forget about Mummy for a while, then I'd get lost or hurt myself and be afraid. Mummy says she'd be devastated if she lost me because she loves me so much.

    So, don't worry, just enjoy your walks from now on. You won't miss doing zoomies, and you'll still be able to rush around the house when you want to, as long as you don't hurt yourself like I did when you visited!
    Love, Cherry xxx


    ReplyDelete
  2. Dis is Jack Playford. You need to join our dog union mate, they help sort out all our canine/hooman disputes. I hope you had a lovely run, read all your pee-mails and answered some. Love Jack. Ps I'm much bigger than you ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Arik, you naughty thing, even if you didn't mean to be naughty, you worried your poor Mummy. I am sure you will still enjoy your walks with Mummy and, as Cherry said, you will still be able to sniff things.
    Take care.
    Auntie TJ

    ReplyDelete